Mechanical Design Engineer
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced, and motivated individual to join our site in Yeovil as a Design Engineer. The appointed individual will need to be able to support the development of concept designs including supporting analysis, with a keen awareness of manufacturing methodologies and a mind on cost. Additionally, the role will also require detail design work and processing of engineering changes. Working as part of the design team, the Design Engineer has the overall responsibility for the concept and detailed design of new products and assembly tooling, together with all drawings and associated project documentation. You will be working on complex aerospace engineering projects across a variety of remits including Environmental Control Systems (ECS), Hydraulics, and Life Support Systems (LSS).
Principal responsibilities will be to:
• Produce detailed design/layouts to meet customer requirement and specification.
• Support detailed estimates at the request of project leaders as a contribution to product development proposals.
• Ensure that ‘Design for Six Sigma’ principles are observed throughout all phases of the design process and apply data rational analysis to arrive at robust solutions
• Check design feasibility by performing design, stress and performance calculations using 3D CAD, finite element and traditional analysis methods.
• Work in accordance with procedures and design standards and to contribute to developing best working practices.
• Be responsible for the completion and checking of drawing packs and any other supporting documentation. This will involve prototype and production details and assembly drawings and associated tolerance analyses.
• To liaise with production engineering and production planning in order to achieve a design/detail package best suited to production and to be aware of changes in manufacturing technology.
• Support engineering change requests and process deviation/waivers where necessary.
• Be committed to delivering against project schedules and meeting project milestones whilst working within a multi project team environment.
• Change oriented and able to develop innovative solutions in a fluid team environment
• Customer aware and a strong results focused work ethic
• Desirable to have 2-5 years’ experience of CAD, ideally in the field of precision components. Recent graduates will be considered.
• Basic understanding of configuration control
• Basic knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T)
• Knowledge of six sigma and lean would be an advantage
• Knowledge of machining and other manufacturing techniques advantageous
• Ability to work in a flexible environment and stretch themselves beyond their comfort zone