Senior Mechanical Engineer – Nuclear – Remote/Bristol – 6 months
Client – Cavendish Nuclear / Babcock
Rate – Up to £60.00 per hour (Umbrella)
IR35 Status – INSIDE IR35
Hours per Week – 37 hours
Contract Length – 6 month Contract
Location – Fully remote with ad hoc visits to the office in Stoke Gifford, Bristol
Security Clearance Required – BPSS but must be eligible to obtain SC Security Clearance
The Senior Engineer manages the delivery of engineering and technical activities, through the application of process, domain knowledge and experience.
At this level; an experienced engineer, high level of developed knowledge in a specialist subject area, resolves specific technical issues and problems, compiles technical reports and accompanying presentations, provides, reviews and adheres to specifications in accordance with stakeholder requirements. Coaches, mentors and assists others on matters pertaining to their own discipline, developing business awareness, builds strong working relationships with stakeholders, works independently with limited technical direction or as part of a small team.
The project is part of a larger overall project to modify/upgrade one of the docks at Devonport Royal Dockyard.
- This is the level for an experienced engineer working with a high level of developed knowledge in a specialist subject area; the role is directly accountable for designs, developments and determines solutions to problems and issues within a specialist subject area.
- Able to work on a range of engineering problems involving high levels of complexity & uncertainty. Provides help and direction to less experienced team members to support both their effective working, and their development.
- Must be fully aware of and adhere to Health & Safety standards and be fully familiar with all authorised documentation, Good Practice Guides and ISO standards.
- Promote effective co-operation across Engineering and other functional teams.
- Assist in effective management of the customer, including liaison and relationship development with existing and new customers, to aid the development of business, resolution of technical and delivery issues, and such that the customer is fully briefed and informed of progress.
- Ensure procedures, codes and standards are correctly identified and applied to engineering and technical activities.
- Contribute to Project Safety Assessment process.
- Ensure task and project risks are communicated and managed appropriately.
- Produce, review and approve calculations, analyses, drawings, models, design basis documentation and technical reports as assigned.
- Assessing the implications of changes, concessions and queries.
- Maintaining the engineering configuration, ensuring the overall design intent and integrity is maintained throughout design lifecycle.
- Evaluate technical issues in order to develop proposals for investigations and/or solutions, including process improvements.
- Provide support to the Project Manager for the planning, control and delivery of tasks and projects.
- Make engineering decisions within own sphere of responsibility and delegated authority.
- Act as Technical Authority or Engineering Lead when authorised to do so.
- Ensure application of highest standards for health and safety in immediate area of responsibility and ensure all team members across engineering co-operate with respect to company standards about matters on health, safety and environment, ethics and behaviours.
- Keep up to date in relevant technical areas and develop skills and capabilities to be able to provide effective delivery. Maintain knowledge of Industry best practice, promote a culture of engineering best practice, support in driving cultural development and change.
- Contribute to learning from experience (LfE). requirement, during and post project.
- Support business development opportunities.
- Exercise care for own health and safety and that of others as defined by Health and Safety legislation, adhere to endorsed Company policy, procedures and delegations (e.g. Health & Safety, Diversity & Inclusion, Performance & Development Reviews and Finance etc.).
- Ensure application of highest standards for health and safety in immediate area of responsibility and ensure individual co-operation with respect to company standards about matters on health, safety and environment, ethics and behaviours.
- Support the business winning process through input into or review of tender requirements, including estimates.
- Engineering degree (or equivalent qualification) in relevant engineering discipline, with significant demonstrable experience
- Chartered Engineer status (or actively working toward Chartered Status)
- Experience in working collaboratively in multi-discipline teams to deliver activities on a range of project types
- Demonstrable experience in covering a variety of tasks across a range of complexities
- Good communications skills and the ability to interface with other disciplines
- Member of relevant institute or significant demonstrable engineering experience and capable of registration with the Engineering Council
- Experience in managing engineering scope for Projects from concept design to full Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC)
- Breadth and depth of experience in a range of commercial or defence projects
- Good understanding of mechanical piping engineering principles
- Good understanding of general mechanical / process engineering principles
- Basic understanding of CDM and designer risk assessments
- Understanding of Safety Functional Requirements (SFRs)
- Good problem solving ability
- Good mathematical ability
- Basic understanding of electrical and instrumentation engineering
- Relevant (and broad) experience in design/development;
- Ability to read (and understand) formal documents such as British Standards
- ‘Can-do’ attitude
- Willingness to take on a variety of different tasks
- Ability to identify and concentrate on important issues
- Good written and spoken English
- IT literate (with good understanding of MS Office products)
- Prepared to travel as necessary
- Good ‘team player’
- Good interpersonal skills