Assistant Project Manager
Position – Assistant Project Manager
Type – Contract
Rate – Circa £50.00 per hour Umbrella Co or PAYE equivalent
Hours – Typically 38 hours per week
Determination – Inside IR35
Location – Devonport, Plymouth / Remote (2 days remote)
Duration – 8 Months +
Security – UK SC Security Clearance To Be In Place
Start Date – ASAP ?
Overall Department Direction
In order to deliver the MoD’s submarine and warship programmes, a significant programme of infrastructure investment will be required on the Devonport site. A new ‘Major Infrastructure Projects’ (MIP) Business Unit has been established to support this.
One of the key scope elements within MIP is establishing a capability to maintain a new class of submarine within 15 Dock (FLEET22). This work comprises of a number of packages consisting of surveys, studies, enabling works, construction, mechanical handling, structures and M&E.
The Client has set a target completion date for the project of 2022 and the FLEET22 team is endeavouring to realise this challenging aspiration.
Main Purpose of Role
The primary purpose of the Assistant Project Manager is to support the Programme Manager and individual Project/Package Managers in leading and delivering the provision of the scope (to time, cost and quality) as well as provide support to the Construction, Commissioning, Production, Design and Safety teams. This will include the likes of the following;
• Assist with the management of a team of Package Managers / Project Managers and Project Engineers to ensure that the remainder of the scope is delivered, where possible, in support of the Client and Project aspirations.
• To monitor, forecast and report against the baseline schedule and estimate where delegated.
• Provide a significant contribution to the development and upkeep of a project risk and opportunity plan.
• Manage risk mitigation activities in support of project delivery.
• Manage customer interfaces and stakeholders.
• Ensure the project is managed and delivered in a safe and appropriate manner.
• Oversight and management of Subcontract placement and ongoing provision of goods & services.
• Manage delivery of discreet Packages where required.
• Deputise for Package Manager / Project Manager where delegated.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Competences
The candidate must have;
• Demonstrable experience and knowledge of engineering works, e.g. civil works, mechanical handling, mechanical or electrical systems / services in nuclear or conventional environment.
• Relevant experience working in Project Management.
• Proven experience with managing teams to successful outcomes.
• Have experience at managing significant budgets and programmes of works.
• Knowledge of NEC3/4 contracts.
• Experience with managing facility upgrade projects on Nuclear Licensed sites as a preference.
• Have valid SC clearance
• Willingness to attend site a minimum of 3 days a week to support the project
The candidate will preferably be degree qualified in an engineering related or Project Management discipline, or HNC/ONC with relevant Project Management experience, and will ideally hold, or working towards, APM (or equivalent) qualification.
A range of client specific courses will be required, such as the following;
• Site Induction
• Fire Safety
• Data Protection