Principal Mechanical Building Services Engineer
Principal Engineer– Mechanical Building Services
Responsible for ensuring the delivery of the Mechanical Building Services aspects of the main 10 Dock Building and structural packages. Supports delivery of mechanical engineering work packages to the required scope, quality, schedule and cost. Ensure systems are designed against a clear statement of compliance with defined requirements, including demonstration that the design meets relevant HSE and specified Nuclear Safety requirements.
• Management of the Mechanical elements of the Buildings and 10 Dock structural packages, ensuring designer technical performance and making appropriate technical responses.
• Provide Subject Matter Expert advice for mechanical engineering aspects within the Buildings MEP design.
• Provide Technical design guidance and review of mechanical design of elements including but not limited to mechanical building services (domestic water, steam, industrial gases), and HVAC systems (covering both standard and radiological implicated ventilation systems).
• Provide Technical design guidance and review integration of mechanical systems with other dockside design packages, and the wider dockyard infrastructure.
• Manage and review inter-discipline and inter-system interfaces in the built environment using the integrated BIM model of the dockyard facility.
• Work collaboratively with the dockyard user group, technical authority and radiological protection advisers to ensure proposed system design solutions meet functional performance requirements.
• Ensure that the design documentation covers the scope of operations required by the Project Manager and is produced to agreed standards, schedule and budget.
• Plan for effective project implementation, identifying key factors and effectively contributing to the project’s technical planning process.
• Ensuring effective Quality Management Arrangements operate and deliver through compliance with Babcock’s Business Management System and Technical Manual.
• Ensure that the processes and activities being managed are appropriately documented with appropriate records maintained and configuration and quality controls applied.
• Ensure that staff and contractors are familiar with the hazards and risks associated with the work undertaken by the delegated engineering team through effective management and communication of the Risk Assessment.
o Pressurised fluid systems such as domestic water, industrial gas and steam systems.
o Hydraulic gates and valves,
• Knowledge of industry standard building services design codes;
• Knowledge of relevant design and analysis codes for satisfying Nuclear Safety Functions;
• Knowledge of fabrication, manufacture, testing, certification and installation techniques employed for Nuclear Safety related mechanical systems.
This role reports to the 10 Dock Design Manager Civil Structures.
A Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
Chartered Engineer, registered with Engineering Council.
Nuclear Introductory Course or equivalent nuclear and / or marine system knowledge.