Lead Mechanical Engineer – Rail Sector
Real Time Recruitment Solutions https://www.rtrs.co.uk
RTRS is working with global engineering company Thales on an exclusive basis to recruit a Lead Mechanical Designer for their Ground Transportation (Rail) division.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
- Be able to deliver design work packages.
- The role will require the knowledge of Mechanical design principles and the mechanical design process.
- Person should be technically strong to be able to approve work packages in a clear and unambiguous manner.
- Person should be able to provide assurance on the work carried out.
- The post holder should be able to deliver best practices.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
1. The principal activities shall include but shall not be limited to:
- Ascertain the design requirements and collate the source documents for the design work package
- Prepare and independently check mechanical designs typically wayside equipment.
- Resolve the technical design issues for the area of responsibility
- Resolve Technical Queries.
- Verify the mechanical designs for the completeness and compliance to the design brief
- Responsible for the Issuing of completed designs for Installation, Test and Commissioning
- Resolve Installation and Test Logs
- Raise Change Requests (CR’s), if necessary
- Act as Responsible Engineer for the CRs affecting mechanical design.
- CM sign off of the completed Design work packages that have been attached to the Engineering Change Notices (ECN)
- Responsible for Configuration Control of their Design work packages
- Attend design review meeting with Installation and T&C
- Attend progress meetings with Engineering Manager.
- Attend Design Risk Review meetings
- Undertake Mechanical Surveys.
- Mentor less experience members of the team.
- Check and Approve the design packages produced.
2. The post holder has a statutory duty to take reasonable care for the Health and Safety of himself/herself and others who may be affected by his/her actions or omissions. This includes:
- Co-operating in policies, procedures and instructions.
- Not interfering with, or misusing anything provided in the interests of Health and Safety.
- Using equipment and carrying out processes in accordance with instructions given.
- Correctly using and maintaining work equipment or Personal Protective Equipment provided.
- Taking immediate appropriate action in situations of imminent danger and highlight any potential safety risks, by reporting these to the relevant authority or line manager at the earliest opportunity.
- The post holder should have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate at all levels in the spoken and written word. A good outward appearance, self-motivation and the ability to work under pressure are vital.
- CDM knowledge
- The post holder should be aware of and familiar with the contents of company polices / procedures and those referred to within the documents, as appropriate to their role and responsibilities.
- The post holder must be familiar and comply with the requirements of local Emergency Preparedness
- Plan(s) and/or arrangements, relevant to his/her place(s) of work, including customer premises.
- The post holder must have experience of LUL’s structural assurance processes.
- Chartered Engineer level with relevant experience Or Degree level (or equivalent) with significant relevant work experience.
- Mechanical designs experience in a railway signalling environment.
- Experience of Network rails structural assurance process.
- Experience of Microstation or other CAD software
- Experience of BIM
- Experience of Structural calculations
Values & Behaviours:
- (Experience, Knowledge, Qualifications & Training)
Focus on Customers
- Ability to interpret the customer’s needs in line with the contract in place.
Perform through teaming
- To ensure they comply with company SQE Policies/Procedures and to consistently implement and maintain appropriate safe systems of work and for ensuring they do not compromise the safety of other team members. The post holder shall be able to develop good working relationships with colleagues and customers.
- The post holder shall actively participate in the delivery of Company/SQE Objectives and strive for continuous improvement in all areas of Safety, Quality & Environment.
- The post holder shall demonstrate innovation through designs solutions.
Develop our people
- The post holder must ensure they maintain the necessary competence to carry out their duties and participate in the teams’ development for mutual benefit.
Mechanical & Electrical Engineering