Project HVAC Engineer – BEIS (UKRI) – Didcot – 6 months INSIDE IR35
Length – Potentially 6 months working but a rolling 13 week contract
Location – Didcot, Oxfordshire
Project HVAC Engineer
STFC are currently undertaking an extensive programme of capital works to improve the ISIS Neutron and Muon Source facility in Oxfordshire. The successful candidate will be part of the ISIS Design Division and working within the Plant Design Team which are responsible for the design and installation of cooling water and ventilation systems on the ISIS plant.
This contract will be on a 13-week rolling basis, and there is at least 6 months worth of work.
Scope of Services:
The HVAC Engineer will be responsible for the design of ventilation (including duct work) and air-conditioning systems. The work will demand good communication skills working in a multi-stakeholder environment including liaison with the Plant Infrastructure Operations team. The successful candidates will be required to work with AutoCAD and therefore must be trained in its use. The role would be to survey existing infrastructure and produce suitable baseline drawings.
- Design HVAC systems from conception through to detailed design.
- Liaise with stakeholders to gain approval for your design (e.g. Customer, operations etc.)
- Formulate tender documents and manage contractor selection process/appointments. Purchase equipment items and services
- Act as Technical Consultant to the Operations team during the installation phase and carry out testing and commissioning of systems with contractors
- Record ‘as built’ equipment specifications; controls philosophy; schematics etc
- Produce equipment and piping/ducting layout drawings using AutoCAD
- Limited system ‘troubleshooting’ – smoke testing and duct work flow surveys as required
- HNC (or similar qualification) in Building Services or Mechanical Engineering or significant relevant experience (Essential)
Knowledge and Experience:
- Good previous HVAC design experience and installation working on a large facility
- AutoCAD trained, with good process knowledge
- Computer literate, able to use Microsoft Office products and keep computer records
- Able to work on own initiative and from verbal and written instruction
- Proven track record backed up by suitable references
- Experience of working within a science or nuclear environment would be beneficial
- Full knowledge and design experience using AutoCAD MEP Fabrication
Personal Skill and Qualities:
- Good communication skills in a multi stakeholder environment
- Enthusiastic and adaptable
- Able to plan and organise work
- Self-motivated and disciplined
- Able to work in a team and alone
- Flexible and able to work with management, design staff and scientists
- Able to work under pressure to tight deadlines