Mechanical Designer / Cad Technician
In order to deliver the MoD’s submarine and warship programmes, a significant programme of infrastructure investment will be required on the Devonport site. A new ‘Major Infrastructure Projects’ (MIP) Business Unit is being established to support this.
One of the key scope elements within MIP is re-establishing a defuel capability for out of service submarines. This work comprises of a number of interrelated projects, one of which is the Submarine Defuel Delivery Project (SDDP). The scope of SDDP comprises of the provision of: a 14 Dock Reactor Access House (RAH), a suite of defueling tools & equipment, a Test & Training Rig (TTR), dockside HVAC and services and a safety justification for the facilities’ use.
The MoD has set a target completion date for the project of 2023 and the SDDP team is endeavouring to realise this challenging aspiration.
The primary purpose of the Mechanical Designer / CAD Engineer is to assist and support the Lead Design Engineers and Senior Design Engineers in the delivery of project scope. This will include the likes of the following;
• Update documentation and CAD drawings incorporating changes and checking the outputs are aligned and consistent with the design intent
• Process and issue documentation and drawings. Maintaining the project registers where applicable and checking that the correct versions are available
• Prepare work packages for design review and handover
• Check and maintain lifetime records for technical documentation.
• Write reports and close out technical queries and data requests.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Competences
The candidate must have;
• Working knowledge of Siemens NX
• Experience working in a multi-disciple environment with multiple interfaces.
• The ability to follow an engineering process and maintain accurate records and document/drawing revision control.
• A proven track record in completing work packages in a highly regulated environment would be desirable.
An HNC and significant Mechanical engineering experience is the minimum requirement. Preferentially, but not mandatory, the candidate will have a degree or equivalent in an engineering related discipline. Preferably Incorporated Engineer Status or capable of meeting the registration requirements of the Engineering Council at Incorporated Engineer Level.