In addition to the generic role profile, we require a particular set of technical skills/experience.
Our client are seeking a Software Engineer to join a small, established team developing applications for radiometric instrumentation and associated measurement services. In addition to demonstrable software development skills, we are looking for enthusiastic engineers who can work collaboratively within their colleagues to deliver multiple projects, and have the ability to innovate through the application of emerging technologies to our problem domains.
Target platforms are typically the Windows desktop or corporate intranet and our Software Engineers are expected to contribute across the full development lifecycle, from tendering and estimating through to post-delivery support and maintenance requiring expertise in design and testing in addition to coding skills across the full stack from device drivers and relational databases through to SPA frameworks.
The ideal candidate will hold a Degree (or equivalent qualification) in Software Engineering, Computer Science or a closely related subject, and experience in the following areas:
Object oriented design
• Use Case analysis
• Ability to produce architectural, component and detailed designs based upon SOLID principles
• Ideally with experience of using Sparx Enterprise Architect CASE tool
• Familiarity with design patterns, tiered architectures, UML
• Visual Studio IDE
• C#, .NET and .NET Core
• ASP.NET, MVC, ASP.Net Core
• TypeScript, Vue.js – although application with experience of other common SPA frameworks would be considered
• Visual C++, COM, MFC
• SQL and MS SQL Server, Reporting Services – in addition, Oracle familiarity would be advantageous
• Power BI
• Test automation using common test and mocking frameworks for the languages/environments above
• Coverage tool familiarity
• Familiar with formal version management systems
• Ideally with experience of the Git version control tool.
Software development is performed on an accredited network and a security clearance is required. Applications and services are delivered to clients in regulated environments and all work is controlled under a Quality Assurance system accredited to ISO:9001.
The existing team members are based in West Cumbria. Many of the tasks to be delivered by this role can delivered remotely, however, there will be activities that require a physical presence in a Cavendish Nuclear office and therefore the successful applicant will be prepared to travel to one of our main site locations when required – Whitehaven/Sellafield, Warrington, Leicester, or Bristol. For less experienced applicants, regular trips to the West Cumbria locations may be desirable to facilitate professional development alongside the existing team members. In addition, occasional trips to client sites will be required.
The Senior Software Engineer leads the delivery of expert software engineering input to meet stakeholder requirements and business objectives and provide coaching of less experienced software engineer team members.
1. Delivery of health, safety, quality, environmental and security accountabilities through personal example and holding others accountable.
2. To provide specialist technical expertise and leadership to the delivery of services, tasks and projects.
3. Project management and / or leadership of services, tasks and single discipline projects in line with agreed scope, costs and appropriate quality standards and legislation.
4. Business winning including managing customer relationships, developing opportunities and estimates, solution and proposal preparation.
5. Produce, review, verify and approve outputs including: calculations, analysis results, reports, specifications and method statements
6. Ensure that adequate review, verification and approval is undertaken on all their deliverables and for those under their direct control and supervision.
7. Ensuring a consistent technical approach, reflecting best practice, is taken in support of radiometric challenges across the full range of projects.
8. Co-ordinate and prioritise inputs to different projects (personal time/contribution).
9. Plan, deliver and monitor tasks and projects, ensuring requirements are delivered to time, quality and costs.
10. Make engineering decisions within own sphere of responsibility and delegated authority
11. Promote effective contribution across teams.
12. Lead the capture and report learning from experience during and post task delivery.
13. Ensure appropriate procedures and standards are correctly applied to technical activities, including ensuring that version and configuration control is maintained.
14. Lead or support the technical development and / or mentoring of team members.
15. Support Cavendish Nuclear promotion activities by preparing and delivering presentations, build and maintain academic links, attend and review conferences & generate and present technical papers. Use knowledge to identify opportunities and new work streams.
16. Identify continuous improvements and innovations in service provision and implement timely improvements to enhance the efficiency and quality of service provision.
17. Maintain knowledge of industry best practice, promote a culture of best practice, and provide leadership to driving culture development and change.
18. Identify and champion new tools and techniques for use by the team.
19. Leading Self: Is a role model, demonstrating Cavendish principles, promoting health, safety and wellbeing, respect and inclusion
20. Leading Others: Owns the performance and development of their team members,
21. Leading Resources: Responsible for effective planning and organisation of resources to
deliver on customer promises
? Degree (or equivalent qualification) in relevant technical discipline
? Experience leading and delivering complex technical solutions across a range of services
applications for a range of nuclear sector customers
? Recognised as an expert by the company, peers and external customers in applying
expertise to software engineering tasks and projects.
? Experience in managing software engineering scope for Projects from concept design to
full Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC)
(*N.B. only qualifications essential to the requirements of the role need to be checked)
Degree (or equivalent qualification) in relevant technical discipline