Principal Systems and Transversal Engineer
Client – Babcock Marine
Rate – Competitive Hourly Rate – INSIDE IR35 (Umbrella)
Contract Length – 6 months
Location – Devonport Royal Dockyard, Plymouth
Security Clearance Required – SC Security Clearance – client will sponsor successful candidate if they do not hold SC
The purpose of the Principal Systems and Transversal Engineer post is to provide leadership in the delivery of DSR updates through the application of process, domain knowledge and experience.
Principal Tasks and Responsibilities
- Develop, lead and manage one or more technical design packages agreeing project related objectives, managing designer performance and making appropriate technical management responses. Provide Subject Matter Expert advice as per discipline.
- Ensure that the design documentation covers the scope of operations required by the Project Manager and is produced to agreed standards, schedule and budget.
- Plan for effective project implementation, identifying key factors and leading the project’s technical planning process.
- Ensuring effective Quality Management Arrangements, operate and deliver through compliance with Babcock’s Business Management System and Technical Manual.
- Ensure that the processes and activities being managed are appropriately documented with appropriate records maintained and configuration and quality controls applied.
- Ensure that staff and contractors are familiar with the hazards and risks associated with the work undertaken by the delegated engineering team through effective management and communication of the Risk Assessment.
- Request the necessary support from the Design Lead within the constraints of budget and in accordance with the project strategy. Liaise with the Design Leader to prioritise assigned projects/work packages.
- Develop & implement the Engineering Management Plan and ensure appropriate direction to ensure the delivery of technical requirements.
- Audit defined processes and activities within the Engineering Management Plan to ensure compliance and continuous improvement.
- Sanction actions that support the development and implementation of the Engineering Management Plan.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements
- A degree in an appropriate engineering discipline. Chartered Engineer (or working towards) and registered with Engineering Council.
- Nuclear Introductory Course or equivalent nuclear and/or marine system knowledge.
- Understanding of the workings of Nuclear licenced sites
- Understanding of multi-disciplinary engineering activities through design, implementation and operation with a core focus on safety
- Knowledge of M&E building services design and installation
- Knowledge of Civil/Structural construction techniques employed for Nuclear Safety related facilities.
- Updating and authoring of technical documentation in support of the nuclear safety case(s).
- Understanding of the PRS process
- The post holder must be able to demonstrate relevant knowledge and skills required in the technical management of complex design development throughout the design lifecycle
- Sound understanding of engineering design and safety practice as relevant to discipline, post and project requirements
- Sound project specification & planning experience
- Sound understanding of Company and departmental procedures relating to Design, Health & Safety and Quality requirements, and ability to manage projects in accordance with these procedures.
- Working knowledge of relevant engineering office computer applications
- Experience of the design support to construction, operation, refit/repair of conventional and nuclear submarines and/or facilities