Senior Mechanical Handling Engineer
Client – Babcock Marine
Rate – Competitive Hourly Rate – INSIDE IR35 (Umbrella)
Contract Length – 6 months
Location – Devonport Royal Dockyard, Plymouth
Security Clearance Required – SC Security Clearance – client will sponsor successful candidate if they do not hold SC
Main Purpose of Role
The primary purpose of the Senior Mechanical Handling Engineer is to support the Principal Mechanical Handling Engineer in delivering the 14D DSC Zoning System Upgrade Project. This will include the following responsibilities;
- Draft technical design documentation including; requirements, design reports, presentations and calculations.
- Oversee and support generation of a 3D model, 2D CAD drawings and BOMs.
- Draft technical queries and change records.
- Update or provide information to support updating extant documents such as the DSR, OMM, Job Plans and Inspection methods.
- Oversee conversion of existing design records into a 3D model
- Maintain and update the project registers of technical queries, change requests, design review requests and design review actions
- Determine durations for design tasks to support the principal engineer and project manager in planning activities.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Competences
The candidate must have;
- Demonstrable experience and knowledge of engineering works, e.g. mechanical handling, mechanical or electrical systems / services. A knowledge of cranes is not essential but desirable.
- Experience of mechanical design is essential. This should include new or modification to structures and systems including concept, detail design, implementation and commissioning.
- A proven track record in completing work packages in a highly regulated environment. Experience of the nuclear civil or defence industries would be considered valuable.
- The ability to follow a design and safety lead engineering process and maintain accurate records and document/drawing revision control.
- Have effective report writing and presentation skills.
- Fluent in Autodesk Inventor to oversee and support production of models and drawings of mechanical components with electrical harnesses.
- Experienced in using MathCAD to draft technical calculations and substantiation.
- Demonstrable communication skills and the ability to host and participate in design meetings across Microsoft teams whilst working remotely and on site.
- Experience in using Word, Excel, OneNote, Autodesk Vault and Navisworks.
A HNC and significant Mechanical engineering experience is the minimum requirement. Preferentially, but not mandatory, the candidate will have a degree or equivalent in an engineering related discipline. Preferably Chartered Engineer status or working towards and a member of a relevant institute.
A range of Babcock specific courses will be required, such as the following;
- Site Induction
- Fire Safety
- Data Protection