Principal Mechanical Handling Engineer
Client – Babcock Marine
Rate – Competitive Hourly Rate – INSIDE IR35 (Umbrella)
Contract Length – 6 months
Location – Devonport Royal Dockyard, Plymouth
Security Clearance Required – SC Security Clearance – client will sponsor successful candidate if they do not hold SC
Main Purpose of Role
The primary purpose of the Principal Mechanical Handling Engineer is to lead the 14D DSC Zoning System Upgrade Project and report to the 14D Mechanical Handling Lead Engineer and Project Manager. This will include the following responsibilities;
- Provide leadership and direction to staff working on the Crane Zoning Project.
- Interface with the CPO and Mechanical Handling Technical Authority to ensure the Subject Matter Experts are consulted.
- Give support to planning, scheduling and estimating of project activities.
- Interrogate and understand the historic design records and baseline the extant crane zoning system.
- To deliver the work package to the required scope, quality, schedule and cost.
- Produce, update and check design documentation including; requirements, design reports, CAD, drawings, calculations, substantiation, change records, commissioning reports etc. to ensure the outputs are aligned and consistent with the design intent.
- Lead and present design reviews and close out actions.
- Maintain and update the project registers of technical queries, change requests, design review requests and design review actions.
- Check and maintain lifetime records.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Competences
The candidate must have;
- Demonstrable experience and knowledge of engineering works, e.g. mechanical handling, mechanical or electrical systems / services. A knowledge of cranes is not essential but desirable.
- Experience of mechanical design is essential. This should include new or modification to structures and systems including concept, detail design, implementation and commissioning.
- A proven track record in completing work packages in a highly regulated environment. Experience of the nuclear civil or defence industries would be considered highly valuable.
- The ability to follow a design and safety lead engineering process and maintain accurate records and document/drawing revision control.
- Proven leadership skills.
- Have effective report writing, meeting chairing and presentation skills.
- Proven experience of detail checking reports, calculations, CAD models and drawings.
- Demonstrable communication skills and the ability to host design meetings across Microsoft teams whilst working remotely and on site.
- Experience/understanding of Word, Excel, OneNote, Autodesk Inventor, Autodesk Vault, Navisworks and MathCAD.
A HNC and significant Mechanical engineering experience is the minimum requirement. Preferentially, but not mandatory, the candidate will have a degree or equivalent in an engineering related discipline. Preferably Chartered Engineer status and member of relevant institute or significant demonstrable engineering experience and capable of registration with the Engineering Council at CEng level.
A range of Babcock specific courses will be required, such as the following;
- Site Induction
- Fire Safety
- Data Protection