Assistant Project Manager
Job Title: Assistant Project Manager
Type – Contract
Location – Devonport – Plymouth
Pay rate – £40 – £60 per hour Umbrella – Inside IR35
Duration – 6 months +
Job Posting Start Date: 06/12/2021
This role is based in Devonport Dockyard, onsite presence is required 60/40.
Overall Department Direction
In order to deliver the MoD’s submarine and warship programmes, a significant programme of infrastructure investment will be required on the Devonport site. A new ‘Major Infrastructure Projects’ (MIP) Business Unit has been established to support this.
One of the key scope elements within MIP is re-establishing a defuel capability for out of service submarines. This work comprises of a number of interrelated projects, one of which is the Submarine Defuel Delivery Project (SDDP). The scope of SDDP includes the provision of: a 14 Dock Reactor Access House (RAH), a suite of defuelling tools & equipment, a Test & Training Rig (TTR), dockside HVAC and services and a safety justification for the facilities’ use.
The MoD has set a target completion date for the project of 2023 and the SDDP team is endeavouring to realise this challenging aspiration.
Main Purpose of Role
The primary purpose of the Assistant Project Manager is to support the Project Manager in leading and delivering the provision of the remaining physical scope (to time, cost and quality) as well as provide support to the Construction, Commissioning, Production, Design and Safety teams. This will include the likes of the following;
• Assist with the management of a team of Package managers, Senior Project Engineers and Project Engineers to ensure that the remainder of the scope is delivered, where possible, in support of the MoD and Project aspirations.
• To monitor, forecast and report against the baseline schedule and estimate where delegated.
• Provide a significant contribution to the development and upkeep of a project risk and opportunity plan.
• Manage risk mitigation activities in support of project delivery.
• Manage customer interfaces and stakeholders.
• Ensure the project is managed and delivered in a safe and appropriate manner.
• Oversight and management of Subcontract placement and ongoing provision of goods & services.
• Manage delivery of discreet Packages where required.
• Deputise for the Project Manager where delegated.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Competences
This section can cover any knowledge and experience needed to carry out the role and also any desirable skills and competencies that may be required for the post.
The candidate must have;
• Demonstrable experience and knowledge of engineering works, e.g. civil works, mechanical handling, mechanical or electrical systems / services in nuclear or conventional environment.
• Relevant experience working in Project Management.
• Proven experience with managing teams to successful outcomes.
• Have experience at managing significant budgets and programmes of works.
• Knowledge of NEC3/4 contracts and their management using CEMAR.
• Experience with managing facility upgrade projects on Nuclear Licensed sites as a preference.
The candidate will preferably be degree qualified in an engineering related or Project Management discipline, or HNC/ONC with relevant Project Management experience, and will ideally hold, or working towards, APM (or equivalent) qualification.
A range of Babcock specific courses will be required, such as the following;
• Site Induction
• Fire Safety
• Data Protection