Head of Safety
We are looking for a Head of Safety for the Integrated Sensors & Protection Line of Business who will have a hands on role as well as managing a small team of Safety specialists.
You will provide assurance that products comply with Safety, Environmental and Legislative requirements, primarily within the land, naval and airborne domains. Working with the other lines of business safety specialists, the individual will also play an active role in maintaining and enhancing the Product Safety and Environmental Impact Management System, which is integral to Design Integrity.
The role will be base in the South of England at ourSouthampton or Basildon site, However Leonardo embrace custom working which will allow the candidate to work at home when possible the role also has a requirement to travel to customer’s sites when required.
Reporting to the Chief Engineer Design Integrity you will influence the Product Safety and Product Environmental Impact management decisions for the Integrated Sensors & Protection (ISP) Line of Business across the full Product lifecycle, from design and manufacture, through in-service support, to safe and responsible decommissioning and disposal to solve complex problems and deliver safe and sustainable products by:
- Supporting the Engineering delivery teams assure Product Safety and Product Environmental Impact management.
- Defining the certification basis for Product Safety and Product Environmental Impact management (customer, legislative, derived, etc.) and the claims, arguments and evidence required to support Product Safety and Product Environmental Impact assessments.
- Assuring that the appropriate governance (internal and external), legal and regulatory obligations are met, through the independent assessment of Product Safety and Product Environmental Impact management risks at Design Reviews and audits (internal and external).
- Participating in Product Safety Panels as a specialist advisor in the management and resolution of Product Safety and Product Environmental incidents.
- Operating as the Safety Signatory to the Certification of Design.
- Providing the focus for the provision of independent specialist guidance and information on best practices, standards and legislation.
- Representing Leonardo on industry bodies and bodies developing regulated regulations and standards.
- Promoting the specialism and Safety Culture within Leonardo.
- Developing the Subject Matter Experts within Leonardo.
- Continually improving the Company Product Safety and Environmental Impact Management System.
You really must have:
- Working knowledge of Legislation – eg REACH, RoHS and EU directives.
- Working knowledge of industry standards such as DEF STAN 00-056, 00-055, 00-051.
- Familiarity with POSMS and POEMS.
- Regularly delivered training within a Company and delivered awareness presentations to other groups. Has worked with others to identify the future Product Safety and Environmental needs of a Company.
- Awareness of cyber and its effect on safety.
- Has hands-on experience of developing robust safety and environmental impact case reports for complex systems in accordance with customer, regulatory and legislative expectations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to interact with subject matter experts regarding a wide range of technical and operational topics.
- Willingness to travel within the UK and overseas.
It would be nice if you had:
- Experience of MIL-STD-882, EN 61508 RTCA DO-254 and RTCA DO-178C or similar.
- Experience of working with the external stakeholders to understand the concept of operations for products, in order to understand the functional safety/hazards and define/agree the appropriate mitigations.
- Ability to identify and deliver alternate/innovative ways to manage safety, including ensuring buy-in from key regulatory bodies.
- Active membership of an external safety specialist group.
Familiarity with the principles of incident investigation and know how to implement an investigation process.
I appreciate you might not have an updated CV, don’t worry, we will deal with this later. For now, just send what you have.
If you want to learn more before applying, search Tom at Real Time Recruitment Solutions to speak. I will be more than happy to tell you all about them.