Technical Solution Engineer – SISS Systems for the Rail Sector
You will develop winning technical solutions for Integrated Communication Systems (ICS). Key upcoming opportunities include HS2 Ops Comms, HS2 Building Management Systems, HS2 SCADA, Station Information & Security System upgrades for Network Rail and TOCs and communication system upgrades on the London Underground. Additionally you may undertake responsibilities of Contractors Responsible Engineer Telecoms on Network Rail projects.
- The Technical Solution Engineer – Networks will develop the definition of specific technical solutions for specific projects and bids associated with a variety of transport-related information systems.
- You will proactively develop technical solutions that take full account of the customer’s needs and priorities, including its operational and implementation needs, and which take full account of the global products and systems available and their respective development route maps.
- In addition, you will develop and shape the technical responses to specific prospects and bids to ensure that they offer innovative and cost effective technical solutions, combined with other, possibly optional, technical services that demonstrate a real understanding of how such a solution will be implemented and used to maximise business benefit to the customer.
- Ideally, you will possess knowledge of transportation industry business process and information management systems, and will ensure that the technical solutions offered enable business process and information system enhancement and are seen by the customer as being credible, robust, practical and good value. Part of the role will require development of a technical network amongst the ICS Product Lines to gain a working understanding of the ICS Product Portfolio and Roadmaps.
- You will be support technical governance on specific opportunities, projects and programmes to ensure the delivery of a technical solution that adheres to the baseline solution. Where technical issues are encountered that result in a deviation from the baseline solution, the Technical Solution Engineer, ICS will take support in the management of technical change, seeking and implementing innovative solutions to such issues and deviations.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Development of technical solutions throughout the pre-bid and bid phases to secure identified business opportunities;
- Delivery of technical responses to bids;
- Ensure that solutions developed and offered are seen by the customer as being credible, robust, practical and good value;
- Support the effective handover of technical solutions from bids to programmes, to the nominated Programme Team;
- Undertake technical governance on delivery projects and ensure that project adheres to the solution baseline.
- Deliver pre-sales technical consultancy in a way that leverages future opportunities.
- Degree qualified in a scientific, technical or engineering discipline, or equivalent
- Ability to work collaboratively within an integrated team containing Products and Systems technical expertise, strategically driven in a stimulating environment to meet stretched timescales;
- Strong technical communications at all levels;
- Technical and personnel leadership skills.
- Proven technical solution definition and delivery track record in transportation systems of any kind and a good level of understanding of existing transport communication and supervision solutions and products;
- Proven experience in the development and delivery of safe, high availability, resilient and secure solutions, concepts, engineering principals and processes;
- Creates customer intimacy, listens fully and creates value for the client and business
- Builds trust and empowers others in their work, embraces diversity and shows compassion in partnering beyond organisational boundaries to achieve common goals
- Imagines the future by looking ahead to design ingenious solutions. Takes smart risks and accepts failure as a way to learn
- Thinks disruptively and appropriately challenges others and is prepared to be challenged
- Adapts their style to efficiently meet changing situations
- Is proactive and agile with the capacity to propose new ideas and embrace continuous improvement
- Energises others and invests time in sharing knowledge and helping others grow
- Experience of winning and delivering business in the UK transportation sector
- Experience of winning and delivering similar technological solutions to non-transport sectors
- Experience of working with railway operating companies, including infrastructure operating companies, e.g. Network Rail / London Underground, train operating companies and freight operating companies, and experience of respective standards and delivery, approvals and acceptance processes.
- Chartered Engineer
- IRSE Licence / Membership
- Other technical and/or management related qualifications
- Demonstrable awareness/familiarity/knowledge of the following systems:
- Backbone communications systems, e.g. Fixed Transmission Networks, Gigabit Ethernet
- Operational Control Centres, including: Scada, Telephony, CCTV, Access Control, Network Management Systems, Radio Communications, e.g. GSM-R, TETRA, Broadband Communications, e.g. 802.11
- Station Management Systems, including: Help Points, Passenger Information Systems, PA, CCTV