Job Title – Structural Designer/s
Type – Contract
Location – Devonport/Plymouth
Rate – £35.00 Umbrella Company per hour
Hours – Typically 36.00 per week
Start Date – ASAP?
Security Clearance – UK BPSS Security Clearance
Our client are looking to recruit Structural Designers to join our Marine Engineering & Systems Division. Our core skills include Naval Architecture, Systems Engineering, multi-discipline design support and project management for new build and in-service commercial and defence vessels. Our state-of-the-art facilities offer world-class efficiency, scale and quality and our customers include: governments, international shipyards and ship owners and energy majors.
Main Purpose of Role
You will be responsible for the generation of design guidance information, including 3D (Inventor) models and design for manufacture outputs, with sufficient detail to enable the safe and effective integration of structural changes to complex MOD assets (primarily submarines). As a designer, you will also be required to develop innovative design solutions across the complete design lifecycle and to produce a range of technical outputs and deliverables to the required standards.
Key roles and Responsibilities include:
• Prepare & produce drawings throughout design lifecycle and in line with recognised ISO standards to the required time, cost and quality requirements.
• Prepare, produce and maintain project documentation as required by the design lifecycle, produce and update ‘as built’ /datum pack documentation.
• Liaise with colleagues and stakeholders during design lifecycle to ensure coordination and functionality of design, including contribution to design reviews.
• Develop innovative design solutions and solutions to manufacturing and installation issues by assisting in the resolution of Production and Technical Queries.
• Interface with customers and supply chain on design issues and assist with procurement specifications.
• Assist more senior designers in a range of activities including, production of estimates, maintenance and improvement in standard and quality of outputs, production and test organisations with the compilation of test forms and procedures.
• Fulfil Design Lead responsibilities as assigned for single discipline low risk projects.
You’ll need to hold an ONC (or BTEC Level 3) in a relevant engineering subject or to hold a suitable qualification with demonstrable knowledge of platform systems, design processes and experience in a design environment.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Competences
• Have undertaken an engineering apprenticeship in a relevant discipline or possess transferable skills from demonstrable experience in a marine/engineering environment.
• Have experience in working within a technical team.
• Possess a good understanding of structural design and design practices as relevant to discipline.
• Have appropriate 2D & 3D CAD skills, written and verbal communication skills and an understanding of risk management.
• Develop close working relationships within the wider technical community including other design, safety and engineering teams as well as Project, System and Platform Technical Authorities.
This role is based at Devonport Royal Dockyard which is located in the vibrant city of Plymouth, Devon in the south west of England.