Systems Design Engineer – Railway Systems
Primary Purpose of the Role:
- As part of a virtual team (s), be responsible for the Systems Engineering activities for bids, services and projects to contract requirements, standards, budget, and on-time delivery.
- You will undertake systems engineering activities across key bids and projects in the transportation sector.
- This will cover systems design, requirements management, lifecycle design, system design, system integration and test.
- You will form a key part of the engineering team in developing responses to bids and opportunities across the GTS portfolio. This will include responsibility for developing designs and solutions from the technical architecture. Generation of innovative and cost effective design and delivery solutions. Management of requirements and compliance responses.
- As a systems engineer you will also form a key part of our project delivery teams. There will be the opportunity to gain a rounded experience across the engineering lifecycle, and/or to specialise in a particular technology or area of the lifecycle.
As a People 1st Employer, we are passionate about providing you with opportunities to advance your engineering career and are committed to giving our employees the support they need to reach their professional goals.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
The list below is not exhaustive nor will individuals be expected to be able to undertake all of them. They are given as a guide as to the expected duties of the grade and role.
- Conduct Systems Design activities:
- User Needs Analysis and contributing to the development of the concept solution
- Requirements capture, requirements analysis and requirements management
- Value Engineering and contributing to technical trade-off studies evaluating alternative design configurations and functional features
- Generate System Specifications using relevant modelling and design techniques
- Produce Interface designs and specifications
- Represent System Engineering at formal Design Reviews
- Undertake Cost Reviews as part of a Bid team.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to deliver system designs in line with the technical roadmap or project schedule
- Conduct System Test activities:
- Write test specifications, working from system requirements.
- Execute test specifications (according to test plan and project schedule).
- Record results of test execution.
- Raise/investigate/verify defects.
- Contribute to the preparation of TRR/TQR Reviews
- Good understanding of the Systems Engineering Lifecycle and processes (DDQS)
- Ability to use System Engineering tools.
- Requirements Management (DOORS)
- Melody Advance or Enterprise Architect (SyML, UML)
- Ability to manage and maintain configuration control of Systems Artefacts
- Can produce metrics as part of Quality control.
- Ability to plan own work.
- An awareness of Engineering Safety and Security Management
- Conducting multi-disciplinary engineering activities ideally on a large scale project
- Working as part of a team and interfacing with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Creates customer intimacy, listens fully and creates value for the client and business
- Builds trust and empowers others in their work, embraces diversity and shows compassion in partnering beyond organisational boundaries to achieve common goals
- Imagines the future by looking ahead to design ingenious solutions. Takes smart risks and accepts failure as a way to learn
- Thinks disruptively and appropriately challenges others and is prepared to be challenged
- Adapts their style to efficiently meet changing situations
- Is proactive and agile with the capacity to propose new ideas and embrace continuous improvement
- Energises others and invests time in sharing knowledge and helping others grow
- HNC/HND/Degree in a relevant subject or equivalent.
- A current IRSE licence. or equivalent
- Have attained, or working towards an appropriate professional status or equivalent