A number of vacancies exist for the post of Senior Engineer (Safety) within Major Infrastructure Projects (MIP) within our clients projects based in Devonport.
The post holder must be self-motivated and adaptable, have strong interpersonal skills together with excellent literacy and numeracy skills and team and project management capability.
Principal Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Prepare and manage the preparation of safety documentation, in accordance with agreed standards as determined by relevant Legislation, associated compliance documents and Company Guidance;
• Manage the delivery of each Safety Case submission, ensuring delivery to time, quality and cost;
• Identify the need for remedial action or additional technical / safety justification and agree with the Principal Engineer/SM the programme of work to be carried out;
• Support other Safety Case authors by providing a verification service to an agreed scope or area of expertise;
• To be able to construct/check Quantified Risk Assessment including both deterministic and probabilistic methodologies, utilising the techniques of: Hazard Identification, Fault and Event Tree Analysis, Consequence Assessment and Reliability Analysis;
• Provide advice to the Plant/Project Manager on implementation and maintenance of safety cases and the implementation of Licence and Authorisation
• Provide guidance and advice to support Plant/Project Managers, Principal Engineers, SMs, Design & Safety Managers (DSMs) and the Head of Safety Engineering (HOSE) on Safety Case, Site Licence and MoD Authorisation issues, and to liaise with external bodies as appropriate.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• A degree (or equivalent) in relevant engineering or science discipline and Chartered status of an appropriate institution;
• Relevant nuclear Training, including NIC, HAZOP, FTA, HF;
• Demonstrable experience in the Nuclear Industry and in particular in production of all categories of safety documentation;
• The ability to understand and apply as necessary HAZID techniques, Deterministic and Probabilistic Safety Assessment, Human Factors Techniques, Reliability and Consequence Assessments.
The post holder will interface with a wide range of people and groups including Plant and Project Managers, Design & Safety Managers, Design Authorities (both internal and External), IPR and Safety Committees, Regulatory Authorities, Consultants and Subcontractors.