Principal Systems Engineer – Mathematical Radar System Models
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Principal Systems Engineer on a permanent basis working. The Principal Systems Engineer will need to be talented and highly experienced with systems engineering and developing system models, and also familiar with working on large and complex systems within the defence industry with a mindset towards system-of-system design and development.
The Principal Systems Engineer will have extensive experience mathematical – and physics-based modelling and model-based design / development, for conceptual system design of engineering solutions / products. The role will require strong technical and stakeholder management abilities with which to identify and manage a broad range of stakeholder needs that will inform system requirements, architectures, and design, to ensure the delivery of fully compliant solutions to our customer.
What you will do
- Development of mathematical- and physics-based models to support concepts development, trade-off
studies, and inform design considerations.
- Develop models utilising Matlab and Simulink.
- Understand and interpret user needs / requirements in order to influence and define the model requirements and design, liaising with system technical specialist teams.
- Perform systems functional analysis to model the architecture of complex multi-sensor systems of systems.
- Assess model design compliance against user and system requirements, alongside key performance parameters.
- Identify performance improvements and propose candidate solutions and implementation methods.
- Develop reports and presentations for delivery to customers & industry partners.
- Travel within the UK to meet with our customers and industry partners.
What we are looking for:
- Highly experienced with maths- and physics-based modelling and the use of industry-standard toolsets (e.g. MATLAB and Simulink).
- Experience of modelling electronic RF/EO/IR sensor systems.
- Experience of modelling complex technology systems in a system-of-systems context.
- Proficiency in requirements management methods and toolsets.
- Strong analytical ability, e.g. to support of trade-off studies (functionality, performance, technology, etc.) to inform designs and operational capabilities.
- Experience of working in the defence (ideally airborne) sector
- Experience of developing performance and operational capabilities for defence systems.
- Self-motivated with a strong aptitude for problem-solving and decision-making within projects involving design complexity and uncertainty.
- Excellent communication and collaborations skills across internal / external stakeholders at varying levels, including industry partners.
- Excellent written and verbal presentation ability.
- Experience of virtual and constructive simulations to support software and hardware integration and test.
- Experience of technology demonstrator programmes.
- Knowledge of system processes, performance, and operational capabilities for airborne Electronic Warfare systems (e.g. DAS, Radar, EO / IR, Communications).
- Understanding of critical enabling technologies for a multirole future combat air system.