Senior Systems Engineer
We are looking for Systems Engineers to join our growing team in the Intelligence Solutions business.
We are looking to recruit experienced senior IT systems engineer who can quickly settle into the systems and customer environment (UK MOD), and apply their engineering skills to deliver operational support and system enhancements to a number of secure and complex systems utilising a wide scope of infrastructure and security solutions.
What will I be doing?
You will have a good working knowledge of building, implementing and maintaining systems with complex architectures on client site, with on-going proactive operational support, working closely with key stakeholders and end users. You will be working within a specialist skilled engineering team providing 1st to 3rd line support to the client.
You will use your excellent technical skills with the ability to support, maintain and operate systems while conforming to industry best practice and technical designs. You will use your excellent team working attributes also taking responsibility and accountability for your own independent work
You will work closely with the Service Delivery Manager for all day to day support activities but will also work closely with the senior technical team in the delivery of projects and system changes.
Work will primarily take place on customer sites in London and Huntingdon. However, travel to other sites in the UK will be required.
Please note the role absolutely requires the candidate to be a sole UK National with ability to obtain DV clearance.
You will be performing systems engineering activities including network solutions, storage solutions, virtualisation solutions, client/server solutions, Windows and Linux operating systems, and high availability solutions.
Key responsibility areas include the following:
- Provide technical guidance as a subject matter expert on allocated technologies
- Provide 1st line to 3rd line support on a day to day basis
- Attend meetings and/or client locations as required
- Support business development including PQQ, ITT, RFQ responses and project work as requested by the management team
- Implementation and management of enterprise class Anti-Virus products
- Implementation and management of enterprise class Backup solutions
- Good working knowledge and experience of public key infrastructure (PKI) technologies and components to support internal and external PKI systems including:
- Solid experience and understanding with Microsoft Certificate Services, X.509 and general certificate management processes
- Experience with certificate lifecycle management
- Experience with Hardware Security Modules (HSM)
- Experience and awareness of authoring Certificate Polices and Certification Practice Statements (CP/CPS) is desirable. You will work with the engineering team to deliver a technical system changes which will include the management, coordination and oversight of the design and control of the existing system, the integration of new capabilities and the removal of legacy/obsolete capabilities.
Good working knowledge and experience of Wintel IT systems with a broad scope of skills and experience of mainstream IT infrastructure services and components including:
- Microsoft Active Directory services
- Hands on working knowledge and experience of Windows and Linux server installation and builds
- Virtualisation technologies including VMware and Microsoft Hyper-V
- Workstation builds and deployments including Microsoft WDS and MDT
- A good working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of products
- A good working knowledge of the following Microsoft Products (e.g. Exchange, SQL, SCOM, ISA/TMG, IIS, SharePoint)
- Practical experience of implementing security policies and system lockdowns including Microsoft Active Directory GPOs, application whitelisting/blacklisting and device/media control
- Implementation and management of enterprise class Patching/Update solution including Microsoft WSUS
- Experience working with Citrix Terminal Services/XenApp services
- Experience working with Linux operating
The role absolutely requires the candidate to be a sole UK National with ability to obtain DV clearance.
Good working knowledge and experience of Networking services and components including:
- Good understanding of TCP/IP, DNS, & DHCP
- Cisco networking to CCNA level desirable but not compulsory
- A good working knowledge of enterprise Firewalls including Cisco ASA, McAfee, F5 firewalls
The role requires good interpersonal skills when dealing with peers & clients as well as the following skills:
- Good customer services skills with specific focus on providing effective system and user support
- This is a small, dynamic team, where individuals will be required to participate in providing 1st to 3rd line telephone support for end users
- Excellent problem-solving skills
Proactive organisational skills with attention to detail
- Good document writing skills to support system documentation and report writing.
- Ability to manage work load for yourself & associated teams in pressurised environments to Time, Quality & standards
- Ability to travel in mainland UK for business requirements
- Aptitude to learn new skills
- Ability to share knowledge & mentor junior members of the team if required
- Flexibility to work a standard 7.4 hour working day within a Monday to Friday, 0700 to 1900 contractual support window
- Experience working within secure environments & with higher classified systems
- Experience of MOD working practices & associated standards and policies